The Eastman Free Press
Providing owners with the information they need to make informed decisions.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

"Sleazy" (?) Eastman Board Ignores Members Again

You be the judge after you read the following letter submitted by a long time resident.

                                                                                                                                                   March 2, 2016
Board of Directors
Eastman Community Association
P. O. Box 53
Grantham, NH 03753
Dear Board Members,
I first purchased in Eastman in 1984. I left in 2000 for a two year employment opportunity in Scotland. When I returned I purchased my current residence at 2 Winding Wood Road in late 2002, when special places were still special. For those of you who don’t know, this is in the Spring Glen Special Place.
I was notified of the relocation and construction of the new VDE office building in late October by a man who was walking by my house. He told me that the Springfield Planning Board had just approved the plan to build the new office on the merged lot abutting my property. I asked why it wasn’t going up next to the maintenance garage and he said that there wasn’t enough room because of an easement issue. I thought it was odd that this was the first I heard of it being an abutter and all. I said if I couldn’t see it from my house I didn’t care. He assured me I wouldn’t.
Imagine my surprise when they clear cut 70% of the lot. I already live with the traffic on the access road to Springfield and the noise from the pickle ball court which will now be even louder due to the clear cutting. Now, not only will I see the building and lighted multi car parking lot, but also the dwelling across the street which I have never seen before in 13 plus years. And this new view of a modular 2 story building on a slab can be seen from 5 of my 7 rooms, 1 of my bathrooms and my entire deck. Two people on the Eastman Environmental Committee told me they were told to stand down in this case. You would have thought that the board was smart enough to insist that the VDE follow EEC regulations to ensure buffer zones etc. as part of giving them the easement.
I sought legal counsel after appearing at a Springfield Board of Selectmen’s meeting. The Concord law firm told me unfortunately what the ECA board had done was legal, albeit very Sleazy. He said that the perpetual easement was done instead of a sale to circumvent a change of use from rural residential to commercial which would require a variance and need abutters’ approval and also not trip the Retired Lot Program which requires abutters right of first refusal for retired lots.
Frustrated I went back and reviewed the BOD meetings and found that at the BOD on October 26th Mr. Paul Hoffman voiced objections to granting the perpetual easement as it was contrary to the lot retirement program. Mr. Ryder replied the lot retirement program allows retired property to be used in the best interest of the community. Let’s examine that statement.
1. The general fund received no money for the merged lot. Had it been offered to an abutter (me) it would have received at least $6,200.00. Best for the community, I think not.
2. The VDE has to float a municipal bond for $250,000.00 for construction of the facility. Municipal bonds have to pay interest yearly for the life of the bond. Where will the money come from, the customers, through increased water and sewer rates to cover an expense that is an increase to their operating budget.
3. I talked to 2 of our leading real estate brokers about what this will do to property values. Both said it will have an adverse effect on the abutters and that a rippling effect will occur in the neighborhood. Now I’m sure this will have no effect on Mr. Goldman’s residence on the 7th green but it will affect a portion of Spring Glen properties. Best for the community, again, I think not.
Maybe Mr. Ryder needs a post graduate course in economics to understand that an increase in the operating budget and reduced real estate values are not in the best interest of the community.
Did any of you even drive down to the site to see what impact there might be on the abutters before you voted?
The VDE has been operating in 300 square feet for twenty years. Reasonably intelligent people know they could run this operation from a store front at Rum Brook. To erect a 2200 square foot facility is overkill. 
In closing I would like to say to the 3 new BOD’s who ran on inclusion and change that, in my opinion, you failed miserably with one of your first votes.
And I would like all you to consider if you would have voted yes if this was next to your property.  I think not.
 Regards, Mike Downes
 603-359-5682

They say they have done nothing illegal which is what was said on Wall Street in 2008. Did we think the bar was higher than that? Not on Wall Street and not at Eastman.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment